memorial for a brilliant woman

Sunday, October 30, 2005


I am so proud- my daughter (picture from last year when she was not a blonde) was named to the All-Star Cast for the Virginia Theater Association High School Competition! Fifty schools, a record number, participated.

As I mentioned below, since Henrico High won last year, they were not eligible to compete, but individuals could be named for other awards- AND SHE WAS!!!!!!!

Is this cool or what?

Me? I spent the aftrenoon at a drumming workshop- it was fun. Umm, mostly. It seems to be a very upper middle class middle-aged woman kind of thing- I'm sure the guy who came to 'teach' us has to be wondering about exactly what it is he does- He seems really really nice and probably doesn't have a cynical bone in his body (unlike myself, who could market my blood as something called Cyn-ni-cale). I pondered all the way home why white women have no rhythm.

But we're terribly earnest.

Speaking of which- last year I helped the school with a Poetry Jam- it was fantastic, these were great kids- some of whom had kids themselves, some who had family members murdered or in jail for murder, a couple of whom were normal city-type HS kids- anyway- the yearbook insert came out and there's my picture on the front with the caption "Shann Palmer carefully reads her poem."

Maybe someone told them to use more adverbs.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Shann,
I was so happy when Huffington Post took my blog. I get a lot of feedback, mostly positive. It's they typing into the ether and getting no reaction that eventually makes it seem pointless. Thanks for your welcome message on LPHSReunion. By the way, I think I'm going to try to write an entry for the Peace Poetry thing. It's been a LONG time since I wrote poetry, but I may give it a shot.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

One day I hope to go to a drumming class!