memorial for a brilliant woman

Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Writing Life vs. The Real Life-

A well covered topic, yes? In every little lit mag or discussion group, it comes up. I think every panel I attended at the JRWC at least mentioned it - How do you find time to write? Submit?

The glib answer is- you make time. The usual answer is- you steal time-

I'm not sure about either one as a useful tool for poets. We have so many ways of writing- and the way we approach the art is probably as diverse.

I'm terribly tempted to take the easy route and list my own set of tips, but what I really want to do is kvetch about how tough it is- how frustrated I am right now, and how tired thinking about it makes me.

It's like making that doctor's appt (I need to do THAT too) I will do it, I want to do it, I need to do it. Just as soon as I get home from work.......

Here's a bit of inspiration - Wendell Berry

No comments: