memorial for a brilliant woman

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Advent 1-1 Wait

The Waiting is the Hardest Part


I knew what was under the tree for me.
I picked it out, chosen months ago.

You took my very specific one-item list,
bought exactly what was written there.

It's been this way for more than thirty years.
I can always count on you, completely.

I'm waiting for an avalanche, a BOOM!
the inevitable violent release of built-up pressure

fomented by the daily repetition of the right thing.
"It's not new crap, it's the same crap over and over!"

Dave told me that, more or less, I thought of you
in jeans and a work shirt five days a week,

taking shit from people who didn't pay the electric,
seeing you as the company and not just some schlub

who has to get up and do it again. They don't, don't see,
even I've come around. Let it go. Take your time.


No comments: