memorial for a brilliant woman

Friday, December 02, 2005

Here's my poetry book wish list- now keep in mind, these are books you could probably get on a bookstore shelf in a big city and a few are really expensive so I'd never buy them for myself (Gone are the good old days when B&N and Border's 'paid' me for hosting the open mike poetry groups in merchandise- I filled out my library, then the high school library where I worked when corporate generosity was in season- OTOH Border's used to give each of us in the jazz combo $100 gift certificates for playing there- sigh!)

On to the list:

Poetry Books I’d like to get as gifts:

Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems of June Jordan
Sara Miles, editor

A Hunger
Lucie Brock-Broido

Midwest Eclogue
David Baker

Directions to the Beach of the Dead
Richard Blanco

Present Company
W.S. Merwin

Poems of Catullus
Gaius Valerius Catullus, Peter Green

Poetry Antholgies I’d like to get as gifts then give away to a high school library

Sweeping Beauty: Contemporary Women Poets Do Housework
Pamela Green, editor

Surrealist Love Poems
Mary Ann Caws, editor

Talkin' to Myself: Blues Lyrics, 1921-1942
Michael Taft

Lofty Dogmas: Poets on Poetics
Deborah Brown, editor

100 Great Poems of the Twentieth Century
selected by Mark Strand

as I say- it's a little tame- OTOH, I just received the new Wicked Alice 2005 annual & Kristy Bowen's chapbook Errata in the mail (i'm also waiting for Paul Guest's book!) so I have something to read right now- if anyone wants to gift me any of the above, I'll happily send you my snail mail address.

No comments: