memorial for a brilliant woman

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Writing? Reading. What August is good for.

I just realized I hadn't blogged much this month. It's not I'm abandoning the place, rather I have been reading far more than I've been writing.

Sometimes it's good to rest the page, absorb other worlds. I have been jotting down ideas and phrases, my dreams are filled with little plots, glimpses into rooms full of words, but my time has been scattered and muddled.

I do need to keep a reading journal- here's this month in a list:

Inferno, Dante. new translation by Mary Jo Bang
The Magicians, Lev Grossman
(ongoing) The Exegesisof Philip K. Dick
Iron Horse Review recent issue
Edisto, Padgett Powell

There are others- I'll post more soon- those books are what I can see from the computer.

If you don't read, you shouldn't be writing- I absolutely believe that.

1 comment:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

The first writers were the only readers.